Saturday, August 16, 2008

Still getting better

It’s the weekend. Not, that I live for the weekend since I am off work. But other people have the weekend off and then I get to see them. I look forward to having visitors now since I am feeling much better now.

Tess woke me up in the middle of the night by deep growls and she stood up and faced the windows. She kept growling and stood stiff legged. I petted her and her back was arched and her hackles were straight up. Finally she calmed down and then leapt upon the couch to snuggle with me. I let her have the bottom part of the couch and felt safe. It was about 3:00 in the morning. I assume it was a coyote or something like that. I don’t know.

Jeff went off to the island for the day to hang with his friends. It is the yearly Guemes Island camping trip. He only went for the day. Too bad, I couldn’t make it.

I am trying to eat a lot more calories so I had an Ensure for breakfast and then a Japanese chocolate pastry that my mom had brought. Of course, when my mom arrived Tess and Nan raced to the door but this time, Tess got stiff legged and growled and chased Nan off. Nan scooted back to the office. I called Nan and then made both dogs sit next to me until mom came in. Then I let them race to mom.

They went through their daily routine, a bunch of pets followed by a treat. Nan has really adjusted well to this new lifestyle. She eagerly greets people and gets lots of pets and treats. She is really start to show a new side of her and has gotten really outgoing. Not to mention, she has really gotten closer to me and more protective as well as vocal.

I am feeling much better and hope that setbacks are a thing of the past. It will be three weeks until I get back to work but that I think is pushing it.

We had a huge lunch today. Mom grilled tuna sandwiches with home grown tomatoes from my garden and Walla Walla sweet onions from Nelson’s garden. She also grilled some shrimp. I ate my sandwich and shrimp in record time.

Tony and MaryAnn came over. Tony is like my second father and I have known him for many years. He is my boss at work. I used to work for him over 16 years ago and now. I have worked for him for a good part of my career. He made sure that I finished my EE degree and became an EE at Boeing where I worked for him for years. Then over 5 years ago, he asked if I wanted to work for him at the FAA and I was in heaven. He is making sure that I am ok and healing well and not rushing back to work. I love working for Tony and the FAA. The people at the FAA have donated sick time so I don’t have to worry about that. It’s been five years since I started at the FAA and it is like family. They are good people who take pride and care about their work. They have passion and ethics and I am lucky to be a part of that crew.

It was good seeing Tony and MaryAnne. We had a good chat about animals, life and things in general. They brought some yellow plums and home made cookies. MaryAnne made my favorite cookies. Little shortbread with fruit centers. They are small bite sized and I am sure I will inhale them within a day or so.

Chuck arrived and soon there was a pack of dogs all having fun. He is taking care of Rainey and each time he comes over I get a story on Rainey’s latest escapades. This time it was the chewing of the phone cord. She must be testing his patience as she is doing her best to be a hellion. That is how she was described by a family or friend of his. I think I am going to tell him since he never had any (human) children that she is a substitute for that. Clip, the sibling is looking very nice. He is longer than Tess and is a beautiful rough coat. He is eye candy!!! Teddy, his red male has his paws full keeping Clip and Rainey in line.

I actually felt good the rest of the day. I was stuffed from lunch and didn’t eat dinner until 10:00. It was too hot in the afternoon to do anything but go downstairs and watch TV in the cool basement. Jeff came home at dusk and we watched TV. Mainly the Olympics and music shows.

It is nice not be wheezy, tired or feeling yucky or running out of gas at the end of the day. I must be on the mend as Tess has abandoned me for a few hours. I use her as my healing meter and so far, she has ditched me for over 5 hours. Nan is next to me or Jeff but not sticking next to me. So according to my “healing dogs”, I am good enough to be on my own for the evening.

No comments: