Thursday, February 26, 2009

Cottage Pie

Well I broke down and made Cottage Pie. I took a recipe and tailored it to my style. I had Ron, Hope, Misty over for a weekend and I served that on Friday night. Ron, Misty, Hope, Getty and I ate it and had two and even three servings. I made two huge casserole dishes and it went fast. This recipe is a keeper. Tailor it to your needs.


One of the casseroles before it was cooked. I took a fork and made a fun pattern on the top.








Here they are just out of the oven and before we inhaled them. What I would do differently is to add mushrooms and make more mashed potatoes for the topping

Diane’s Cottage Pie

2 lbs ground beef
1 lb spicy pork sausage (Jimmy Dean)
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 onions (finely chopped)
2 large tomatoes (chopped) or can of spicy chopped tomatoes
1 cup chopped steamed asparagus
6 large potatoes (boiled/mashed – add half and half and butter to make this rich)
3 carrots- steamed and chopped
1 can beef stock
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/4 teaspoon sage1 tablespoon chopped parsley
1/2 tsp thyme
4 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoons crushed garlic
dash salt and pepper to taste


Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.


Brown the beef and pork sausage in oil.


Remove from pan and set it aside and drain some fat but not all of it.


Sauté onions until tender, and then add chopped tomatoes, asparagus, carrots and cook for 2-3 minutes.


Add broth and stir in herbs and 2 tablespoons butter.


Return meat to pan and continue cooking for 5 minutes until well mixed.


Put all ingredients to an ovenproof casserole.


Top with mashed potatoes (scoring them with a fork.)


Dot with butter and bake uncovered in 375-degree oven for about 45 minutes. Remove when browned on top and center is hot.

5 comments:

Jodi said...

Cool! Where did you get the recipe? And how did it come out?

Jaime said...

Yes- you can't just tease us with that and not leave a recipe! :) Looks great!

Kathy said...

That looks good, how did it taste?? I presume that this is from the recipe you posted previously?? Do you not add any veggies to it?

Unknown said...

Sorry folks, Google burped and didn't show the recipe so I redid it and now it showed up!!

Janet said...

With the exception of the "spicy" sausage, I would say you were pure-blood Englishwoman given your recipe here. As you know, the English aren't known for spicy food (aka, flavor). This pie looks and sounds very similar to the pies my mom made for us when I was growing up!