2 lbs ground beef
1 tablespoon oil
2 onions (finely chopped)
2 tomatoes (chopped)
1 cup beef stock or bouillon
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/4 teaspoon sage
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
5 medium potatoes (boiled and mashed)
1/2 tsp thyme
1 tablespoon butter or bacon fat
salt and pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Brown the beef in oil.
- Remove from pan and set aside.
- Drain most of the accumulated fat from the pan.
- Sauté onions until tender, and then add chopped tomatoes and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add broth and stir in herbs and seasonings.
- Return brown meat to skillet and continue cooking for 5 minutes.
- Transfer all ingredients to an ovenproof casserole.
- Top with mashed potatoes (scoring them with a fork.)
- Dot with butter and bake uncovered in 375-degree oven for 30-40 minutes.