Thursday, November 20, 2008

Vantage Point

Today I went to see Dr. Joseph Condon. As you know by now, he is my Cardiologist. He is starting to open up more and has a funny send of humor. Not to mention, he has awesome communication skills. The first part of the appointment, Lisa did the Protime test. I just started back on the blood thinner on Saturday. They took me off it, four days before the surgery. My levels were a little low so she did some adjustments. Lisa also did an EKG.

Then Dr. Condon came in and we talked about my status. So far, it is looking good. I do not have to have the Holter monitor and that is good news. It is a machine that continuously records the heart's rhythms over for 24 - 48 hours during your normal activities. My flutter is still there as well as the Third Degree Atrioventricular Block. They will do the “electrical shock” that they did at Overlake (which worked for a bit then my heart back into flutter). That should work this time since the hole has been sealed. If for some reason the “shock” procedure doesn’t work the second time, they will do the ablation (burning of abnormal electrical conduction circuits). At this point, we are going to let my heart heal and the new tissue grows over the “clam shell”.

He will continue to monitor me and we will sit tight on the pacemaker. After everything heals, the Third Degree Atrioventricular Block might not be so bad that I would need a pacemaker. That will be the last of the procedures. In December and January, several types of ultrasounds will be done to verify the “clam shell” is working and so forth.

Needless to say, the light is at the end of the tunnel. I am so pumped. My heart surgery has worked, the remaining problems are not life threatening and can be fixed. I have been in good hands with Dr. Condon and his competent staff.

I am also in good hands at home with Tess and Nan and of course, Getty. Each night as I write the blog, Tess is snuggled next to me with her head on my lap or on the edge of the laptop, She is very careful and quiet and will give my hand a kiss or two as needed. She doesn’t put her paws on the keyboard but makes sure she is properly situated so I can type and not be bothered.

If you think, she is fascinated by what I write in the log, well you are wrong. She has an ulterior motive. Each night I eat ice cream and she gets to lick the spoon after I am done. Then I will eat cookies or crackers and she gets a nibble. She waits very politely for her treats.

She has been good when she eats her treat, never dropping a crumb and being very calm. Her eyes track every piece that I eat and she patiently waits. She knows if she is good and quiet, she will get a treat. Bad dogs are not allowed on the couch and do not get treats. She also makes sure Nan stays in her bed while am doing my blog. Nan gets the same amount of treats, in case you were wondering.

It’s a fine "Vantage Point." Next to me, who is feeding her treats. She also has a direct light of sight to Getty, should he decide to give her a treat.

Tonight I had baby carrots to eat. I ate all of my cookies up and decided to eat healthy. This is not counting the large bowl of Ice Cream that I had earlier. Tess watched every baby carrot go into my mouth.

Munch, munch was the sound of carrots. I relished each carrot and crunched them loudly. I heard a deep sigh and saw a pointy snout gaze at the direction of half carrot in my hand.

“Ok, Tess, here you go” and I generously handed it to her.

She took it gently from my hand and began to eat it. By this time, I was watching the news and glanced away from the laptop. To my horror, when I looked back, the keyboard was covered in tiny carrot bits. And Tess’s new "Vantage Point" was at other end of the couch.

I guess it doesn’t have a view of baby carrots.

No comments: