1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon Sriracha sauce (hot chili sauce)
1 cup all-purpose flour (or cornbread)
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1 cup water
1 1/2 pounds calamari rings and tentacles, thawed if frozen
Canola or vegetable oil, for frying
- In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise and Sriracha sauce. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, black pepper, garlic powder, paprika and chili powder. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and water. Pour the mixture into the dry ingredients and whisk just until smooth.
- If any of the tentacles are larger than bite-size, cut them into smaller pieces. Add the calamari to the batter and gently toss until all the pieces are well coated.
- In a large, deep skillet over medium-high, heat about 2 inches of oil to 365 F.
- Working in batches to avoid crowding the pan, use a fork, chopstick or tongs to lift pieces of calamari from the batter and set into the oil.
- Fry for about 2 minutes, then use a slotted spoon to transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Serve the calamari immediately, accompanied by the dipping sauce.