Thursday, June 4, 2009

Border Collie Rescue Success Story

It's a warm feeling to have a success story pertaining to a Border Collie that needed to be rescued. A fellow rescuer sent this touching story and I wanted to share it with you.

From Janet Legg from PNW Border Collie Rescue

##################################################

Attached is a photo of Piper (a Border Collie puppy I rescued in 2001) with his current owner Joan Hitchner taken this morning, June 3, 2009, by my husband, Todd Legg. They were both at a fire investigation in the SeaTac area this morning and bumped into each other. Todd sees Piper and says to Joan… “your Border Collie looks exactly like our dog Jake”. Then Todd tells Joan that… “my wife is involved in Border Collie Rescue”, and Joan asks, “who is your wife”. Well, when Todd says… “Janet Legg” – the laughing begins. Joan adopted Piper from me when he was a itty-bitty puppy back in 2001. Joan’s “Piper” was later honorably selected to join the King County Search and Rescue Unit of the Sheriff’s Office a few years ago. He has been seen on television at search sites and has a very successful find career with King County SAR.

Piper was a puppy that was picked up for fostering by one of my co-workers who just happened to volunteer at a local animal shelter. Knowing that I was a dog rescuer, my co-worker came up to me at work with photos of Piper and said that the shelter described him as some sort of Lab mix – which he definitely was not, but rather was a PUREBRED Border Collie puppy. I asked if I could foster the puppy for rehoming to an approved Border Collie home and was told I needed to adopt him from the Kent Animal Shelter. Turns out, it was the weekend of the “Shelter Adoptathon” and I was able to pay only $5 to adopt Piper from the shelter due to this special event.

Piper was a Jake-look-alike so much as a puppy it was remarkable. (see Jake in photo called “The Guys” – with Piper and Ben – our other foster dog now living with Diane Conway in Tacoma). Piper was a delightful foster dog and we enjoyed having him at our home for only a few weeks before he was adopted by Joan Hitchner. He was expected to be her young son’s agility training prospect (see photo of Brian and Piper), but it turned out that Piper was too attached to Joan to train well for Brian – consequently Joan and Piper got involved with SAR training.

I could cry. I am so impressed by Piper’s career and his devoted owners. (We love you Joan Hitchner) This was one very special foster dog story that I will never forget. Piper (now 8 years old) still looks identical to our Jake (now 12 years old) in almost every single way to this day. Piper does Pacific Northwest Border Collie Rescue very proud indeed.


##################################################



Support your local Border Collie Rescue

No comments: