Monday, July 28, 2008

Hardest Day so far

It’s has been one of the roughest days that I had in a long time. I woke up at 4:30 to take a ½ Perco pain pill and then went back to sleep. I was still feeing the pain from the night before and I was wore out. I just get exhausted so easily.

Again, July was just being July and was hot and humid, I had the fan on through the night and it helped but still felt the heat. I managed to eat ½ piece of toast and Japanese Pancake for breakfast. I weighed myself and now weigh 110 lbs which is too thin. My calf muscles are all flabby and the daily walks I hope will firm them up. I have managed to flush all of the hospital water weight which is good.

Yesterday we had talked to my surgeon, Dr Austin about my funky heart rate….1 then 2 beat, then 1 then 2 then 3 beat and then back to 1 then 2 beat. We are hoping it is not flutter or whatever. He told me to call my Cardiologist, Dr Condon and have a EKG done, Audrey had checked my heart beat on Sunday night when I walk taking a walk. It felt off so I asked her to and it was off. I am sure that Dr Austin was amused by being called by a vet!! Thanks to Audrey for checking me out.

Deb got on the ph this morning and set up an appt for 2:30 p.m. I slept on/off all day and did my walks. I was tired and not my usual up-beat self but the humid air did suck us dry.

So off we went to the Dr…it was a 40 minute drive and by the time I got there I was very exhausted. Then we had to park and walk in and wore me out too. This is much more work than my 11 or so minute walks.

They ran the EKG and saw that the flutter had returned and that would explain the shortness of my breath and unable to blow more than 1250 on the Air Puffer.

I am doing ok for a person that had 2 surgeries and therefore slower to recover. He gave me OK not to wear the hospital socks that prevent clotting, which is fine be me as I hated them. They are tight on the legs like nylons and those of you that know me, know I do not wear nylons.

My BR and HR are what we are getting at home so that is a relief. There is some fluid in my lung but not much. The tingling in my left breast area was concern to me but Dr Condon said it was the nerves healing and not to worry. He looked at the incision and was happy with what he saw.

I point out a lump in my lower left groin, about 1 x 2 inches and 1 inch high. It was puffy but did not hurt. I had not seen it below so either it just swelled up or was hidden with my water weight. When they had opened me up for the first operation, they had realized the tubing would not go through the leg and then opened my chest wall to do it. Later, after they repaired the hole and then they saw some issues so they rushed me back in and opened up the rest of the chest. So needless to say, I had three openings for the two operations.

The lump was not hurting and was more than fluid. We set up an appt for Thursday with Dr Austin to take a look at it.

Since I had 2 operations and both involved opening the chest, then my recovery would be a lot longer and harder. The original idea for the operation was to be done via the groin and we set a goal for the LaCamas trial. Now all of that had changed as I had 2 major operations via the chest and that takes longer to heal . I asked Dr Condon….”was I able to stand in full sun for 10-12 minutes and work a dog in about 14 days.” I told him with the way I felt I didn’t think I would be able to and he confirmed that. Had we done the groin approach, it would have been a strong possibility.

So needless to say, I am going to pull out of LaCamas. I asked Monique is she wanted to run Lucy in PN for me and she is seeing if she can get the time off work. If not, I’ll pull her too. I’ll have to drop an email to Lani who I was going to stay with and share expenses. I hope she can find a sub, if not I will stay pay her my portion. No sense in messing her up at the last minute. Lani is a very kind person who not only has the *most handsomest white headed m male* named Blair but she makes the coolest lanyards. I really enjoy hanging out with Lani and will miss that.

Deb and I got home about 4:30p.m. and I was super wiped out. I ended up having to take another pill and feel into a deep sleep. I slept for 2.5 hrs and then woke up for a bit and then back to sleep for 1 more hour. I can’t believe how exhausted I was and how deep of a sleep I fell into.

Several people had called and I had given Deb my phone to answer as I was too beat to do that. She field several calls and got people up to date. That was very nice of her. Tomorrow I will call those people back after I feel better.

We had a late dinner around 10ish as they waited for me to wake up. Jeff cook filet mignon and cream corn. I ate about 10 small bites of steak and some corn. I have to keep eating as I cannot lose anymore weight.

When were are at Dr Condon, he recommended protein, soy, tofu and all sorts of stuff for me to eat. He also said I could eat salt again as it will help retain some weight.

It’s 11:30 pm when I wrote this and it is the best I felt all day. I am going to have a protein drink and then hit the sack.

Tess, as usual, has been my shadow. Always next to me and at night when I fuss, she will poke her nose on my arm as if to say “I’m here”, She has been very cautious next to me and keeps her eyes fastened upon at all time. She has give Nan the lip curl to stay out of the room. Nan does sneak in and sleep next to me when wanders off but then immediately scurries off when Tess comes into the room

If you happen to notice any typos. It because I am loaded on meds. My eyes are not totals focused on word very well either.

Thanks to all who check in and Thanks to Deb Nicholas who flew in from LA to stay with me for a week.

No comments: