Sunday, November 25, 2012

Dogs and Gorilla Glue® – Never a good mix!

I read this great article and thought you might like this. I appreciate  for making this post possible.
Maybe you’ve already heard of the dangers that Gorilla Glue® poses to dogs? Maybe you’ve even heard stories or seen some of the cool X-ray images of dogs that ingested this stuff? But have you ever seen video of why Gorilla Glue® is hazardous to your pets. My guess is that you likely haven’t, because such a video hasn’t existed… until now!

This is cool! Check out the time-lapse video below to see what happens “When Gorilla Glue® Gets Wet”, then be sure to share it with your pet-loving friends and family. Gorilla Glue® ingestion is a serious and common dog emergency, and once you’ve seen this video, there’ll be no forgetting about or mistaking the danger! *Don’t worry, the video isn’t graphic – but it is cool and eye opening, and important for every dog owner to see.

It’s pretty impressive (and scary) how such a small amount of glue – about 1 ounce in this video – can expand to a size that will cause an obstruction of your dog’s stomach necessitating surgery to remove. Don’t you agree? Especially when you realize just how quickly it can happen – it only took about 45 minutes to an hour in this video!

Now you might be asking yourself: “Why in the world would a dog eat glue?” Well, in the case of Gorilla Glue®, apparently it smells and tastes sweet (I've never tried it myself though). But honestly, even if it didn’t, are you aware of all the things that dogs ingest on a regular basis? From socks and towels, to pacifiers and even knives, many dogs could care less about what they’re eating, they're just happy that they’re eating!

Does your dog fit that description? I suspect that many of the Lab owners out there know exactly what I’m talking about – right? And I know that the owners of the dog pictured in the radiographs below now appreciate this!

So, it’s important to recognize that dogs do ingest Gorilla Glue®, and that they do so fairly often. If you want to help your dog avoid surgery and having a stomach that looks like the one pictured in the X-rays above, be sure to follow the simple suggestions that I’m providing below. And don't forget to help your friends and family keep their pets safe, too - be sure to share this video with them and tell them about

Important things to be aware of and do to prevent your dog’s ingestion of Gorilla Glue®:
  • Recognize the danger (recall video above).
  • Keep such glues in sturdy toolboxes or secure drawers/cabinets. Store the toolbox on a stable, elevated shelf and choose drawers/cabinets that are high up and well out of your dog’s reach (be sure to take into account their height when they’re standing on their hind legs - otherwise known as "counter surfing").
  • Clean up spills promptly and completely.
  • Don’t allow your pets to be around you and your materials when working with Gorilla Glue®.
  • Put away all of your work materials when you’re finished working with them and clean up during breaks. (Or take steps to keep your pets away from your workspace until you are able to thoroughly clean up.)
  • If the above steps prove difficult to follow, then just avoid the potential for the problem entirely and don’t bring Gorilla Glue® or other such adhesives into your home or other workspace.
  • Recognize that it's not just Gorilla Glue® that causes this problem; it's all the other diisocyanate adhesives out there, too. It's just that Gorilla Glue® is the most popular and most heavily advertised of the bunch.
  • Recognize that this emergency can affect cats, too. It's just that it tends to affect dogs far more often, and that's why this article focuses on the problem in dogs. Fortunately though, the preventive steps provided above will also help to keep your cats (and children) safe, as well.
I hope you've enjoyed this video and found it, and the tips provided, useful and educational. Have a wonderful day, and, as always... Be Aware. Be Prepared. Be Preventive!


No comments: